Friday, June 20, 2014

Chicago - the Wind City

There is always a blockage to start writing, you know.. thinking of what to scribble down.
Today may be am writing a mix up of posts ranging from cooking, to new place, peoples, DOGS and expressions in Chicago!! You must be wondering what kind of a post is this :D Sounds quirky, but let me start off.


This is my first post landing in Chicago. Chicago is a city in the state of Illinois. It falls by the side of Lake Michigan. The time I landed here is summer. Though not the summer we have seen in India. Chicago is called the Wind City. And it also one of the 3rd most popular cities in United States.
I have been a person whose has always stayed glued to Kerala. So this was a welcome change for me.The ciyt, life and lifestyles are all very different. While walking through the streets with my hus and his friend the first few days were like walking on a dreamland. The Amazing liveness and colors and skyscraper building just amused me! And forget not to mention about the people and dressing. All shorts and ultra shorts walking freely across the streets with their boyfriends hand in hand. Seeing this, it quickly reminded me of the Indian streets and people.No matter what u wear, even a burqa, people wud come near you especially towards females, just to rub your shoulder!!! Alas now what a difference of people i see here. One thing worth mentioning is the respect of people towards each other. There is less racism towards other country nationalities. Even when you walk to the stores, Americans generally greet you, they say - hai hello-how are u n stuff. But if we see an Indian they wont even bother to say a Hai.

Now coming to the "Wind City". As the name suggests, Chicago is on the lakeside with a great view of vast ocean like Lake Michigan. City is often cold with high winds. Wind means it will literally blow ur hair up and the coldness of the wind makes u fold ur hands quickly as possible to rub some heat. So the first day of going out, I wore my new Woodlands winter Jacket, bought exclusively from Woodlands showroom in cochin. :D ( Well just for my readers info ;) ). Wearing and walking with pride through the streets, i found in no time that, I was a little out of place. Yes, people around me were walking so casually in ultra's and mini's and even simple summer clothes. They are so used to the wind climate here and also they prefer wearing summer clothes. Coz other than the 2 months of summer, city is mostly snowy. So their only chance to roam around in free style is Summer.
 

Now the DOG thing: :D .Am a pet lover, I love dogs, pets, rabbits and birds. But have not owned or looked after one since long. The city truly amazed me with the number and variety of dogs. I dont even know what the names of these much dogs that i find on the roadways. Well am not mentioning about street dogs. They are all Owned pets. And most of all, ts so funny to watch these pets. Yes I really really mean it guys. Next to my apartment is a Dog park. People come with their pets in the evening to play and mingle with other pets. Once these pets meet each other, suddenly there is an inbound love and friendship that circulates them. They start kissing and licking each other. So funny isn't it. And more funnier is that, they keep sniffing the ground always. And finds out if any other pet has pottied there, if so they will also potty on the same spot. :D :D :D . I just cant keep smiling while i write this. Poor pet owners, they always carry a plastic bag to pick up these potty things. (Well thats the only thing which pulls me away from buying a pet dog... Ohh i just cant imagine picking it up from roadsides :| )!!!
So i guess, this much would be enough for this post.I will jot sown my cooking things on my upcoming blog. Hope u liked and Do comment okay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment